17th-20th July 2018
Our Fèis Week is an annual event for young people aged 8-18. It takes place over 4 days at Paisley Grammar School and is an intensive week of come-and-try workshops. Working with some of Scotland’s top traditional musicians, participants are able to develop their skills, take part in our finale concert and most importantly, have fun.
For those in S1-S6, our Advanced Fèis offer a series of workshops for those who can already play to an intermediate/advanced level.
An opportunity for individuals to develop skills in the Gaelic arts.
A Fèis is an opportunity for individuals to come together to develop skills in the Gaelic arts – song, dance, drama, and traditional music on a wide range of instruments. Tuition is accessible and fun, but professional and effective. Taking place across four days in July, participants choose three different choices from a list of various instruments, dance, drama, filmmaking and singing.
Across the week, participants work with their tutors and others in their class to prepare a piece for our finale concert. They will also take part in Gaelic language activities each morning, including our annual Fèis song – a song for everyone to learn together which is the finale of the participants’ concert.
All of our tutors are experienced, professional musicians, skilled in working with young people. We also have a pool of supervisors and volunteers who help our events run smoothly. Young people are supervised at all times and we work in accordance with Child Protection and Health & Safety Guidelines. Our staff are all members of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme administered by Disclosure Scotland.
Work with some of Scotland’s top musicians and tutors
Participants will select three choices + one reserve choice when registering for our 2018 Fèis Week. Each ‘first choice’ class will prepare a piece for our end-of-week concert and as such, will be attended twice a day by participants. Every effort will be made to ensure participation in chosen subjects however some participants may be offered their reserve choice to deliver age and ability appropriate tuition, ensuring maximum learning benefit and enjoyment for all.
Important: Unless otherwise stated, all classes will be ‘beginner’ level. We will be running an intermediate/advanced fiddle class and and int/adv accordion class during choice 3 each day. Our chanter/pipes tutor will also be offering a whistle class each day during choice 3 only.
Check out our 2018 Fèis Week subjects and tutors below
How to Apply
Applications open on Sunday 22nd April
Earlybird access from Sunday 8th April
All applications for our Fèis Week are processed through our website. Our form will allow you to register up to 4 children at one time and choose our Main Fèis Week or Advanced Fèis Week for each one. Places are extremely limited for many of our classes. It is important that you complete the online application form as soon as possible to secure a place. Applications close on Friday 18th May.
A few notes on our application form…
• The application form will indicate how many places are still available in each of the subject choices. This number will only reduce when you hit the submit button and either a deposit or full payment is made.
• If two people select the last place in a subject at the same time, it will be given to the person that submits their form first. The other will then be asked to make another selection as that choice is no longer available.
• The form will capture all the relevant information we require from participants. Please ensure all fields are completed.
• The form will automatically highlight any areas where data is missing.
• No guarantee of places can be made. For each of our choices, we have made available an amount of places relative to what any one tutor can manage whilst offering up an opportunity for the participants to be fully engaged with each subject.